Thursday, December 23, 2004

I'm jumping from book to book these days. Reading a little from one and then off to another. Then back to the original one. So the past couple of days I've been I've been reading on Sex magick. So far I haven't gotten to the Sex Magick part but so far the history. Which is fairly interesting. One part made me think of Jo and her dissertation.

"It was in the 1950s, largely as a result of Gerald B. Gardner's writings about Witchcraft, that the Neopagan movement, which included techniques of sex magick including the "Great Rite," was born. Some of the ideas he presented were taken from the book Aradia or the Gospel of the Witches of Italy (1899) by Charles Leland, and the others were "borrowed" from Crowley. (Some people even claim that Gardner paid Crowley to create Wicca [or parts of it], but I have seen no documentation to support that theory.) The rebirth of Paganism has gone through various spurts of growth in each decade. The sex magick aspect of Witchcraft in many covens has become minor or virtually non-existent."
Chapter one page 33
The Secret History of Sex Magick by Donald Michael Kraig.

Now since I've never been heavily or even lightly into Wicca I have to admit I've never heard that rumor. However it is kind of interesting.

What else have I been up to today.... I just watched King Arthur... The just released version. I have to say that I liked this version a lot better than some of the others. Though I have to admit I have the hots for Gawain now. LOL
http://video.movies.go.com/kingarthur/mainsite.html

Ok, I got the hots for several of them actually. LOL AND the horses were gorgeous. Funny I'd find myself watching it as much for the horses as these men.

http://us.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0349683

The second and fourth photos are my favorites and shows how beautiful the horses are.


ok... I'm thinking about bed. Not sure yet... I'm getting tired.


3 Comments:

Blogger Mab said...

There are a few versions -

* Crowley was initiated into Wicca by George Pickingill, re-wrote a lot of the Book of Shadows, which got disseminated around Pickingill's nine covens, one of which was the New Forest coven which initiated Gardner. There's independent evidence that Crowley was initiated into Wicca (but didn't stay there long), when he was quite young, but nothing else backing this up. Plus nothing else proving Pickingill was anything but a solitary practitioner in East Anglia.

* Gardner got Crowley to write it. GBG definitely did go to see Crowley a couple of times and he was also definitely given a whatsit to create a chapter of the OTO. The trouble with this theory is that Gardner saw Crowley in the last year of his life; when there were some serious opium issues going on with Crowley. Those who are very familiar with Crowley's work say that the Wiccan Book of Shadows looks like the work of a much younger Crowley and it isn't something that he could have rewritten at the time when Gardner knew him.

* Gardner just 'cut and pasted' earlier Crowley work into the Book of Shadows, from published and unpublished work. He may have paid Crowley for this, he may not, but it wasn't written specifically for Wicca, just appropriated.

yours
Mab
xxxxx

PS What year was the Kraig book written please?

3:33 AM 
Blogger Georgia said...

Thank you for that information. :-)

This is the third edition printed in 2001, It shows a copywrite of Modern Sex Magick in 1998.

9:10 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the store the day they released King Arthur. Which if you knew me is a feat in and of itself... since if I have it in my mind not to leave the house... I usually don't. I had to actually get reasonably dressed and comb my hair, since I didn't have a hat.

Anyway, I made the mistake of watching LOTR I, II & III... then back to II (so I could watch the Riders of Rohan one more time)... while I was wrapping gifts. I shouldn't have watched Arthur after that since I was all LOTR hot and sweaty... BUT, I noticed that I fell in LOVE with the horses... I MEAN... in LOVE!! They were gorgeous... beautiful... I could watch them over and over and over.

To the HORSES!!!! *tips a hefty glass of mead*

hee hee hee
Roxanne

11:38 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home