Wednesday, May 25, 2005

To forgive is to join with others

From Karen Casey, Daily Meditations for Practicing the Course:

“To forgive is to join with others.”

“No doubt at least one circumstance will arise today that can trigger anger. Even minor disturbances push our buttons if we’re not vigilant. The question many of us have is, “What’s wrong with anger?” We’ve heard that it’s healthy to admit anger, that we shouldn’t stuff it. Have we been misguided?

From the Course we learn that anger is about us, not the others on our path. Therefore, expressing it by attacking someone else doesn’t properly address the cause. If we’re the sole source of what is irritating us, we’re also the single source of forgiveness, and thus change and healing. Actually, this simplifies our lives. It is just isn’t possible to make others behave, but it is possible to change how we act, feel, and think. The unexpected miracle is that everything and everyone else will be changed in the process.”

“I am as happy as I choose to be today.
My anger is gone when I acknowledge its source and its solution.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Mab said...

I seem to be regressing on this one. I haven't lost my temper since I was about 10, then in the past couple of months, I've lost it three times. I feel it rising, red-hot, like a volcano about to erupt, and if the source of the irritation doesn't stop, then I explode.

I know that ultimately I am the source of the irritation and I've gone for a couple of decades being able to control that. Then whoosh the control has gone. I don't know what's done that.

In a way, it's better than the ice-cold fury, because it's over more quickly. My target doesn't necessarily have to fear that I'll bludgeon them to death three years later, when they've forgotten (or never knew) I'd been upset. Like all eruptions, the force is spent as soon as it's done rising. Then it's calm again. Not like ice, which freezes the fury and keeps it static until a thaw allows the trajectory to continue.

Everything you have shared with us here, I know. I've lived it for years. But emotionally something has just changed in me. I'll work it out, but thank you for reminding me about what is.

yours
Mab
xxxxx

7:56 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home