Monday, August 23, 2004

Soul Group

A while back Mike asked me why the things that happened to him had happened. I since I always look for a lesson I started there. He was having a hard time putting together what kind of lesson. So I started telling him how a soul group would work together. How they would agree to take on some terrible job to help the other one learn. He said do you think that is what happened to me? I said I hope so Mike cause I wouldn't be able to understand how someone could do the things done to him. He said he would think on it.

So this morning when I woke the following was in my inbox. I think that Mike was telling me he understood now.


Article contributed by David Law of the Meru Foundation

Spectrum (British Wheel of Yoga) Summer 2002

There was a soul whose time had come to take a human birth, and so it went to the great cavern in the infinite void where all such souls went. In the cavern were hundreds of thousands of souls, each manifesting as a small blue flame.

When its time came, the soul stood up and said "My time has come to take human incarnation, for I have work to do and many lessons to learn. In my life as a human I shall need family and loving friends to help me, to love me and to nurture me. Who will be my friends and family on earth?"

A ripple flickered across the thousands of flames and shortly a few stood forward and said "We do not know you, we have not met before and are strangers' but being kind and giving love is a pleasant and easy task. We will be your friends and family on earth."

The soul spoke again and said "And on earth I shall need teachers. People to guide me, to correct me and to discipline me. Who will be my teachers?"

Again a ripple went around the assembled flames, and a group came forward and said "We have known you in other lives and we have grown to respect and like you. We will take on the task of being your teachers in life."

And a third time the soul spoke and said "And on earth, if I am to learn the greatest lessons of all: the lessons of humility, tolerance under provocation and love to those who hate me, I shall need enemies. I shall need people to hate me, to abuse me and to do violence to me. Who will do this for me? Who will be my enemies?"

There was a long pause in the cavern until, at last, a small group came forward and said "We are your soul group. We have known and loved you over aeons of time and your growth and learning are as dear to us as our own. This is the most delicate and difficult of tasks and if you are to be hurt and abused, it were better done by loving friends. We will be your enemies on earth."