Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Making Change

Making Change
Trying Something New Everyday

Change is good. Change invites us to grow, encouraging us to experience new things, welcome new people into our lives, and ultimately change frees us from the mundane.

Many people are not comfortable with change, preferring that every day be much like the rest. There are even people who may be miserable, yet reluctant to change. And, some people are actually afraid of change.

Still, regardless if we like it or not, change happens. As Buddha said, "change is the only constant." So, if change is coming, whether we're ready or not, it behooves us to accept change, even embrace it. Changing your relationship to change can greatly enhance your life, opening up new possibilities and challenging you to become a more open minded, interesting, and positive person.

To begin accepting and welcoming change in your life, start by expanding your comfort zone and making small daily changes. Here are some ideas to help you get started.

* Take a new route to work or school, perhaps even a new mode of transportation; take the bus, carpool, bike, even walk if possible.

* Eat new foods. You could try a different food every day; ethnic dishes, a fruit you've never tasted, a new drink.

* Everyday, make an effort to talk to a stranger, even if only to say hello.

* Wear different kinds of clothes. Try a color you never wear, buy a hat, some fun sunglasses, colorful socks, impractical shoes.

* Rearrange the furniture.

* Take a class in something you know nothing about; Latin American studies, Butoh, book binding.

* Try a new hairstyle; curl or straighten your hair, change your part.

* Don't watch TV for a day.

* If you drink coffee every morning, try tea, hot cocoa, juice, or hot water.

* Shop at a different grocery store.

* If you always shower, take a bath. If you always bathe, take a shower.

By taking baby steps in creating change in your life you have chosen to take action, and thereby declaring to the universe that you are ready for change. What changes will you make today?


***Yeah I knicked it from another list***

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Georgia! Nicked or not, I like it :D
I'm a change baby - I love change, I hate it when things stagnate - bleurgh! I'd rather it was nice changes though :)
Uh, hold on, just blew the printer up.
okay, fixed now, but I forgot what I was going to say.
apparently I'm dumb today!
My theory - change happens whether we want it too or not. You can either embrace it and try to turn it into something positive, or lie down and die emotionally/mentally speaking. Stuff that - I like change, it makes life interesting (too interesting sometimes - lol!)
Big hugs,

Bex

4:19 PM 
Blogger Georgia said...

The funny thing is I really don't like changes. Not normally anyway. I'm learning they aren't terrible. They still scare me but not as much as they use too.

Georgia

4:56 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't used to when I was a kid, but then the job I used to have - no choice, so I decided I'd better get used to it. Now I think I might be addicted. Help!

Bex

1:02 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home